Monday, June 11, 2007

June 9-10, 2007 – This wind blows.

Slept on the boat Friday night and was up by 5:30AM to try and get some minnows, they have been difficult to find. I managed to get a pint of them, but that’s all they would ration. I told Jim to go get some for Capt. Randy but by the time he got there Jim’s Bait and Tackle was sold out. I had already stopped at Hands Too bait shop and they were also sold out. Jim did manage to get 2 pints from Miss Chris marina.
It ended up we didn’t need much bait anyhow, the wind was howling pretty good. A little before noon we headed to the bay behind Wildwood. We tried to fish there but it was low tide and we had to be careful to not to drift out of the channel, but we did. Thought we were going to be stuck for a while but we raised the motor and were able to back out. We won’t be doing that again with my boat. (So I thought). Jim fished for a while, no action so we headed back to the marina.

Sunday we made it out to Delaware Bay. We headed out to the Anchorage, which is on the Delaware State side of the bay, so the Fluke need to be 18 inches to keep. In NJ they only need to be 17 inches to keep. We headed out of the slip around 7:00 AM. We fished from around 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM. I managed to catch one keeper fluke, again on a green squid skirt, Berkley Squid Flavored Cut Bait, with a minnow. The fluke was about 19 and ½ inches long, and was hefty. It felt even heavier since I had a 10 once wait on to hold bottom.

The Victim

Jim finally got the stink off for this year by dragging in a skate. I was glad to see him catch something.

On the way home I let Jim drive the boat; we were doing fine until we came into the canal. The channel on the way in is closer to the left or starboard side of the boat, we were not quite close enough to the channel, and the boat came to an abrupt stop. Luckily we were going fairly slowly as we were approaching the no wake zone. Again we raised the motor and were able to chug through the muck.


Post a Comment

<< Home