Sunday, June 24, 2012

Cape May Fishing  Report 6/23/2012

My return flight from Dallas got into Philly at about 1:30 on Friday. I hopped in my car at the Long Term parking lot and headed straight for Cape May. I arrived in Cape May at just about 4:00 and just as I arrived the skies opened up and there was a lot of thunder and lightning. So we ended up heading over to the Harbor View for some Sushi and cocktails.

Saturday the weather was beautiful. I wasn’t sure where I was going to fish; it was a toss up between the CM Reef and Reef Site 11. I met Capt Tommy at the Wawa, and the bait shop, and told him I was thinking Reef Site 11. As I was pulling out of the slip they pulled out into the harbor at the same time. I followed them out to Reef Site 11. We were running over 20 knots so I was happy.

There is a lot of good structure at Reef Site 11. It really shows up on the sonar. I had a short flounder in the boat within 10 minutes of my arrival. I kept doing short drifts, like about ¼ mile long drifts so I would stay on the structure. A charter boat named UnReel was beside me, I saw them catch at least 6 keepers. I was just picking up shorts.

Here's a shot of Tommy and friends at Reef Site 11.

After a while Capt. Tommy called me on the radio and said he was getting a lot of action a little further south, so I headed that way. I continued to pick through shorts and sea bass. I lost a lot of rigs out there, probably 10 or more. That’s to be expected at Reef Site 11. Finally around 1:00 I caught a 19 ½ inch keeper. I almost lost it at the boat, I missed with the net the first time and the little stinger hook on my jig got caught in the net. I was able to get the fish in, and put in the box. I kept fishing until about 1:45 then started packing up for the ride back.

The ride back was just as smooth, as the ride out. Here's a little video I shot while looking back at the Stern, you can see the sea conditions were pretty nice.

When I got back to the marina I filled the boat with gas. It took $90 bucks to fill the tank, and it was full when I left in the morning. So the flounder I’m going to eat to tonight better be damn tasty.

I only gave the boat a quick rinse down Saturday afternoon. A few of us ended up having some beers and shooting the breeze at the Bree Zee Lee. 

Saturday night we were back at the Harbor View to see Northbound Train.


Post a Comment

<< Home